
Recently, I read Wish by Melina Gerosa Bellows. I had high expectations for this book, partly because it was about a journalist and because the cover had a little girl in a princess hat. Pinks, purples and sparkles decked out the cover, so of course I would want to read this.
The author introduces us to her heroine, Bella Grandelli, an intelligent girl who always thinks she is never good enough for anything, though she always tries. Bella is constantly trying to improve herself because her twin brother Bobby is autistic; she attempts to pick up his lack of accomplishment because he physically and mentally is unable to.
Readers travel through various stages of Bella’s life, though each part shows Bella in an interesting relationship. I didn’t like how each part revolved around a guy, but it showed how Bella learns a lesson from each guy, never making the same mistake twice.
The book would have had a stronger plot if it showed more interaction between Bella and Bobby. Readers would have been more intrigued if it showed how they were growing up and through separation. Throughout the novel, I often forgot about Bobby until Bella mentioned her brother.
Still, the best thing about the book was its relatability. Every girl is searching for the perfect guy, the perfect outfit or the perfect job. Bella and the author helped me realize things do not need to be perfect; you only need to accept things and be happy. Bella finally realizes her brother does not have to be perfect and he is happy with who he is. Bobby does not need money or power to feel content and fulfilled.
People do not need to perfect themselves; they are fine the way they are, though it takes a long time to realize this. But once a person accepts herself for who she is, great things will follow. Overall, an enjoyable read.
No comments:
Post a Comment