Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Things my mother never told me about guys

I've heard it said that you every guy you date or see, you learn something from him. I think this is true. Each relationship is different, so it is expected you will learn something new from each one. It's also best to treat each relationship as individual, never comparing it to past ones.

I think that is my problem. I have always compared current relationships to past ones, and that's where things always get messed up. Each guy and problem is different. It just sucks I learned this now, not before. I think I could have avoided a lot of mistakes with guys, but then again, doesn't everything happen for a reason? I'm not sure if I believe in that phrase of not.

A guy may not be a good guy for me, but he may be a good guy for someone else. Just because he doesn't think I'm the "one," it doesn't mean he isn't the "one" for someone else. I've always thought a lot of guys were assholes, but we didn't fit well. I'm still having trouble believing there are good guys out there, but I'm slowly converting.

Anyway, here's what I learned from past relationships:
-If there is no fighting in a relationship, I don't have much faith in it. Healthy arguing is needed.
-Good and bad needs to be shared. Period. No hiding emotions or secrets.
-It's not my way or his way. There needs to be compromise.
-Your friends are a reflection of who you are.
-The way you treat your mother and kids are also reflections of who you are.
-People make mistakes. But that doesn't need you have to have name-calling or bring up past mistakes.
-Don't let your friends tell you how to act in a relationship; it's between you and him.
-Let him have time with his guy friends.
-Cuddling is a must.
-No one is perfect. You need to accept the flaws and strengths and never, never try to change someone. Accept him for who he is.

No comments: