Monday, June 22, 2009

Living the single, unpredictable life

I’ve forgotten how to be single. I thought it would be like riding a bike: a skill that you never forget. It’s been almost two years since I’m not seeing or dating someone right now. It feels weird knowing my time is my time, and I don’t have to rearrange time for someone else or share it.

I like the idea of not having to let someone know where I am all the time. I’m with my friends and family like crazy. They’ve all changed a lot the past four yours, and I’m enjoying getting to know them again and vice-versa. I wonder if everyone goes through these emotions after graduation. For once, I’m not worried about not having someone. Usually, when I’m looking, nothing happens, but when I’m not looking, someone always comes along. My main thing is getting a job right now.

Part of me thinks if I stayed with Dan, I could be engaged or thinking about it now. But I think if I were, I would end up divorced by 30. My sister’s boyfriend asked her to marry him after college, but she said no because she could see them divorced by 30. Now, she is 31, but she is single, loves her job and friends and has a great apartment. Most of her friends are divorced, but with kids. She is single and happy, while they are divorcees and miserable. With the different times, I think it’s better to wait, not rush into things. Rarely do I see early marriages like that last today. My mom was married at 22, and I can’t picture that right now.

I’m starting to feel a little helpless now with no income, unlike the past four years. I’ve been on a lot of job interviews, but you have to wait a month, then you get called back for a second interview, then you wait another three weeks, then get called back for a third interview. It’s a lot of waiting and not knowing. That has the potential to be fun, but scary.

No comments: