Friday, October 8, 2010

Speaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkk

Once again, the book Speak is being challenged as to whether or not it’s appropriate literature in schools and libraries across America. Written by central New York native Laurie Halse Anderson, this is not the first time the novel has been a controversial topic among libraries, parents and administrators.

In Missouri, Wesley Scroggins is attempting to encourage his district to ban this book because it deals with rape and violence. However, Scroggins’ summary of the book proves to be incorrect; I don’t even think he read and understood the context of the book as a whole.

Albeit rape and teenage sex are not the most positive topics found in young-adult literature, they are important because they are issues teens face in reality. Speak does not provide graphic illustrations or porn details about rape and sex, but it provides a realistic aftermath of these circumstances and how teenagers handle them.

Also, Scroggins is against sex education in schools and the circulation of these materials in libraries, claiming they are inappropriate for the youth of America. Like it or not, most teenagers know what sex entails, but providing information about sex education should be encouraged, not denied to these students if they wish to pursue it.

Libraries are supposed to provide information for teenagers about a range of topics-from healthy sex alternatives to dealing with depression. These are heavy topics, and a library is the place where people can receive information with no questions asked or judgments passed.

Individuals like Scroggins, who are attempting to censor what is in libraries and read in English class, are unknowingly harming and negating access to information of which these teenagers have a right to know if they so choose.

This type of ban and censorship restricts intellectual freedom against teenagers. Instead of encouraging them to explore new ideas and topics, people like Scroggins are attempting to limit what teenagers read.

In this information and digital age, access and promotion of knowledge and information should be encouraged. The more educated a young adult becomes, the more easily he or she can handle the adult world and realistic situations. Without preparation, the future of these individuals could be uncertain.

If I was the librarian in the community where Scroggins lived, I would support the circulation of this book, though it deals with the rape of a young girl and its aftermath. It’s important to fight for books, because if we don’t, then who will?

P.S. I can’t think of one book that does not contain swear words, sexual assault or some kind of discrimination or violence toward a person or group of people. If you know of one, let me know!

3 comments:

Heather Jo Nelepovitz said...

This topic hits really close to home. The author (as you stated) is a Central New Yorker. She went to my high school, wrote the books about my high school, described it and some of my teachers in detail, so it's basically a MUST HAVE from the time any of us are in high school...

I didn't even realize that Speak ever came under controversy, it was commonly spoke of and used throughout my high school education along with another book of hers (Fever). Now I am intrigued! I'm going to have to discover more about this, thanks!

Allison said...

Here is the link from the Post Standard that gives the information:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/professor_wants_to_ban_mexico.html

I read Fever, as well as her other books, and I enjoy them!

Allison said...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/professor_wants_to_ban_mexico.html